Adults abused as children

If your childhood experiences in the care of Action for Children were painful, traumatic or unhappy, we have services available to help you. Download our information sheet to find out more.

What do we mean by adults abused as children?

By ‘adult’ we mean anyone over the age of 18. By ‘abuse’ we mean emotional, sexual and physical abuse. In this context, abuse does not include care and punishment of a standard which was acceptable at the time but would not be accepted today, such as the use of a cane.

Who can I contact about the abuse I suffered as a child?

Action for Children takes all allegations of abuse very seriously and we are committed to helping and supporting anyone who has experienced abuse while in our care. We take these reports very seriously and are particularly concerned to prevent harm to any child. Our Head of Safeguarding deals specifically with investigations of historic abuse. You can contact her in writing, by phone or by email:

Head of Safeguarding
Action for Children
3 The Boulevard
Ascot Road
WD18 8AG

Phone: 01923 361 500

What will happen if I disclose abuse I suffered as a child?

We are aware that it is not easy to discuss sensitive and personal experiences of abuse that may have happened many years ago but continue to have a negative impact. Sometimes people will remember unhappy, painful times of being a child in care. They may have memories of being ill-treated, abused or of seeing others being badly treated. We take these reports very seriously and are particularly concerned to prevent harm to any child today.

If you tell us about abuse that occurred while you were in our care that that was of a criminal nature, we will pass the information you give us on to the police and /or social services. We cannot keep information of this nature private or confidential, as we cannot condone an offence. However, we will handle all the information you give us with extreme sensitivity. We will support you through the process and advise you of other sources of help available.

We will follow the same procedures where information provided verbally, or found in case records indicates that a child, young person or vulnerable adult is suffering or is at risk of serious harm.

Please be aware that when there is a police investigation or a claim for compensation your records may be made available to the court.

Other sources of support

NAPAC (National Association for People Abused in Childhood)

Telephone: 0808 801 0331  Website:  Email:


HAVOCA (Help for Adult Victims of Child Abuse)

Website:  - Contact via website only